Tuesday, June 14, 2005

 

Wake up

I closed out a bar in Bethesda tonight. An old friend was in town with her boyfriend, and the conversation was a reminder of the strangeness of modern life.

They are both 20 something college grads in New York City. The conversation, of course, drifted to careers. And my career discussions invariably involve my Army experience. When I explained my time in Korea, sans hyperbole, they were shocked. The idea of a million civilians killed in a few days, and the near certain death of myself in the event of a war was completely foreign to them.

This is as it should be. The average American does not have to worry about death in battle, because there are those who fight for them. But when we talk about Guantanamo, torture, and polls, lets remember how removed the citizenry is from the battlefield. They really have no clue.

Comments:
Eifert,

Agreed there is not a clue among them.

I think that this is where the problems begin. With that apparent lack of interest to seek and find out the answers to their pointed questions, you get the result of 'shithouse' rumors for lack of better words. What starts with one hipster spreads like wildfire to more until you are faced with legions of liberally indoctrinated ignoramuses.

And people like Dean, Durbin and Clinton have the audacity to claim that Republicans are lazy? The more and more they speak, the less seriously I can take the entire [Democratic] party.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?