Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Notes on Movies

I have not blogged about films in a fair amount of time. Fear not good readers, I still watch them as faithfully as I drink Irish whiskey.

I saw Aeon Flux last weekend. A wonderful movie with beautiful visuals and a passable plot. If you were a fan of Aeon Flux the cartoon, I would, on principle, suggest that you skip the movie. As in the first three Star Wars movies, learning the metaphysic basis of imagery that you enjoy is always and everywhere a let down. The movie itself is exciting, the plot twists interesting, and the heroin beautiful.

That same day I had the pleasure of seeing Walk the Line. This is a brilliant movie, that I would urge all thinking people, again on principle, to see. The movie does many things well. It shows the genesis of Johnny Cash's songs, the tough life he was born into, and most importantly his love of June Carter and how that love changed his life. Reese Witherspoon does an amazing job as the lover and disapprover of Cash. And Joaquin Phoenix deadpans his way through great lines and subtly defines the depth of Cash. The best cameo goes to the actor playing Waylon Jennings. And my favorite moment, is a scene that shows us the decency and the strength of the Carter family. They are the people who you want by your side when the night comes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?