Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

What makes it all worthwhile…

“He who does not love wine, women, and song is a fool.”

- Martin Luther

I always loved this quote. It tells us that Luther was the first get-down Theologian.

On a more serious note, this quote shows Luther’s earthy side. After leaving the Catholic Church he embraced life, fell in love, and got married. His marriage was much more a marriage of equals then we think a “traditional” marriage would be.

His belief in being stalked by demons and his almost medieval German background make the boldness of his life almost unintelligible to the modern man. We should note that he shifted theology and philosophy from the high-minded metaphysical to the day to day living of the good life. Martin Luther the last Ancient Greek philosopher?

Note: Yeah that’s pushing it. But it sounded good.


Comments:
Actually, the quote seems more credibly attributed to Johann Heinrich Voss, though I'd love to think it was Luther.
 
I deliberately overlooked the implausibility of the quote, because I think the sentiment is accurately attributed. I was going to put in a note that most scholars believe it is falsely attributed, but I am afraid I clutter my blog a little too much as it is.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?